Jashn-e-Rekhta – Virtual online Urdu festival
Presented by the Rekhta Foundation UK, Jashn-e-Rekhta (JeR) is a virtual festival of Urdu culture which the Bagri Foundation is supporting.
Thirty two digital sessions across three ‘stages’ will be delivered over the weekend via an online portal. Some highlights, as well as those made especially for the UK, include:
- Javed Akhtar and Manoj Muntashir, poets and lyricists from two different generations present ‘Cinema – Kal aur Aaj’ – a conversation around films, lyrics and Urdu poetry.
- Azra Raza, the highly acclaimed physicist, scientist and author presents the world of Ghalib in her grand style.
- Yawar Abbas relives the golden years of radio with fellow broadcasters Raza Ali Abidi and Pervaiz Alam.
- Sania Saeed, renowned Pakistani actor, Tanuja Chandra, Indian film director, and Nasreen Munni Kabir, filmmaker and author, discuss the contribution of Urdu to the world of cinema and television.
- Tina Sani and Shilpa Rao present ‘Reviving Ghazals for Millennials’
Along with these sessions, you can enjoy some of the most popular events from JeR India’s archives including storytelling, dance, music, poetry recitation, and discussions with major artists across the world.
The festival tickets and full line-up can be seen on their website https://jashnerekhta.org.uk/